News and Blog

Journey towards university Medic offer

News

Journey towards university Medic offer

Congratulations to Ali Kayyale who has an unconditional offer to study Medicine at Barts and the London. Growing up in war-torn Aleppo, Ali saw the devastating impact of a lack of medical care.  He tells his story in his own words.

“I had always wanted to pursue a career where I could help people but growing up in Syria during the crisis strengthened my desire to study medicine. Getting into medical school isn’t easy however, no matter where you are in the world.

I still remember the first day I arrived in the UK; almost immediately I was faced with deciding where I would spend the most definitive two years of my life. On visiting CTC, the staff immediately made apparent the supportive environment they provide for students. After I had seen the schedules, which ensured an effective balance between classroom learning and personal time, I knew that it was the one!

I entered CTC determined to reach my goal and prepared for the challenges that came with it. The challenges began with getting the grades required of me in an education system and language that were new to me. I still remember my first practical lessons, where I was not getting the expected results, until my teachers sat with me one-to-one and went through each step.

Finding myself in a new culture, away from my home, family, and friends, was also difficult, particularly as I went on to face other challenges, such as preparing for the UKCAT and admissions interviews. However, I soon found a home in CTC. Students were friendly, staff were supportive, and everyone cared about each other’s goals. Teachers always had individual plans to help each student get onto their chosen course, encompassing mock interviews, one-to-one sessions, and personal tutors who monitored every student’s progress.

Getting the grades did not mean getting the offer. Medical schools also assess non-academic criteria, which was well-supported by the College in the form of sports, debating, Biology club, and many more. I also undertook work experience and volunteering in order to strengthen my application. All of this contributed to me finally securing an offer to read Medicine at Barts and the London.

I am so grateful to have spent these two life-determining years at CTC, competing in sports, going on trips, and, most importantly, making friendships and memories that will last forever.”

Ali has an unconditional offer to read Medicine and will be going off to medical school in September. We wish him well!